Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Surrealism


On my commute I take the new Legacy highway. For those unaccustomed it seems ridiculous, but for reasons unexplained gets me to work faster. Legacy parallels I-15, meanders along like an inebriated snake and has posted speed limits at 10 miles slower than I-15.


I can also count on plenty of sweet roadkill raccoons, laying face up, legs splayed out and bulged like over inflated balloons.
Less commute times and more awesome scenery. It's a win-win.


Today as I was wandering my way back home, I hummed around a corner and saw an unexplainable sight. I have put the scenario to much consideration, but have yet to devise an answer to why things were the way they were.


My attention was first drawn to the flashing orange beacon blinking a caution to drivers from its perch on top of a UDOT incident management vehicle. In front of the incident management vehicle sat a tan Toyota Celica with its hood propped open. I waned close and could see a middle aged woman and a UDOT employee standing in front of the car. I noticed they were not looking at the engine or the car. They were facing a fence. The fence runs both sides of the parkway and separates the road from a walk way/ bike path that also runs on both sides of the parkway.


Standing on the opposite side of the fence, ears perked attentively, neck careened over as far as it could extend out, stood a horse. He seemed to have a keen interest in what the people were doing and they likewise had an interest in him. It didn't look like the regular sort of interaction you would expect like the people having an apple and cooing "Oooh! who's the pretty horsey? You want this apple? The cutesy wootsy horsey wants an apple! don't ya!" The horse staring intently at the apple muttering to himself "Shut up! Just give me the frickin' apple. Ya bi-ped freaks!" No, it wasn't that sort of interaction. It looked more like the horse was listening intently and the people were saying "It just started sputtering and then it died. It has plenty of gas and I just had a tune up and an injector service done last week... Wilbur has taught you a thing or two about auto mechanics hasn't he Mr. Ed? What are your thoughts?"


Laying on the ground next to the horse with a lethargic and bored look was a dog. There was no one attending the dog or the horse. How they got on the walkway is mysterious and a bit in congruent too.


I might have dreamed the whole situation up too because on the same drive I thought I saw a sign that said gas was $1.83. I better stay away from those poppy seed muffins.


2 comments:

robmba said...

I'd never been on Legacy until just a few weeks ago when I had to go to a one day conference in the SLC area. I thought it was nice. I was surprised that I didn't even notice the merge onto I-215. Just all of a sudden, I was on it, and I wasn't sure when exactly it happened. That may have something to do with the unseemly hour I had to wake up to make it to the conference, but I don't know. I only wish it were longer. But my vote for the next controversial roadway that costs way more than you think it should, but is worth it once it's done, would be a nice road between Avon/Paradise and Eden/Liberty.

T-rev said...

I wish I had an interesting commute. The best thing I get is Watching people get pulled over on the stretch of road with the lower speed limit. The thing that gets me is this. I drive 5mph over the speed limit all the time. My commute has two main parts to it. The first has a 45mph limit and a the second is 40mph. Now during the 45 part I have to fight to get past these slow people driving 40 while I'm trying to do 50. Then I hit the 40 zone and slow down to 45 but now every one is trying to pass me and tailgating me. At least I get to watch them get pulled over