Saturday, December 13, 2008

SNOWWWWW!!!!!

It finally snowed! Old man winter took his chance when I was out of town. In Lehi and Ogden where I was all day, there was just a sciff of snow. I assumed no snow had even stuck to the driveway, so we took our time getting home. It was not until I pulled off the highway into Nibley did I see a lot of snow. "Grrr!" I grumbled when we pulled into our driveway. "It looks like everyone had already dug their driveways out!" I went all the way around the block and only found two other driveways to do besides my own.

Chuck operates like an autonomous death machine. Stubbornly relenting in a single-minded direction, until otherwise directed. the auger on the front makes a rhythmic pounding sound like the hammers of Thor. on the second swath down my driveway I twisted the handle bars of chuck pointing him in a new direction, as I stepped around to position myself behind him, my foot slipped and I found myself being drug down the driveway knowing that if I let go he would continue on unguided and unmercilessly. If I kept hanging on, I wouldn't be able to get my feet under me to stand up. Luckily there is a handle, when squeezed, takes chuck out of gear. Finally I gathered enough wits to remember how to squeeze the handle and I was able to regain my composure.

The only disappointing thing, from a previous owner using it without skids the scoop on the back is worn down. There is now a 1/4'' gap between the ground and the scoop that lets snow pass under. I wasn't able to get a perfectly removed cleaning. I either have to have a piece of metal welded on or figure out a way to keep it working good. I wonder if I could put a strip of ruber on there, like a strip from a used tire? I will have to think about this.


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Next time it snows I will safe my driveway for you. It will be my service project for the holidays.